[sword-devel] BibleMemorizer - Sword as plugin? (Licensing)

Jeremy Erickson jerickson314 at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 4 18:24:35 MST 2005

I am considering putting the Sword capabilities for BibleMemorizer in a
separate library file and loading it as a plugin.  This way, I could also
have an alternative plugin to return the names of the books of the Bible,
numbers of chapters, etc. for those who don't want to use Sword.  A plugin
interface would make it easy for me or someone else to add a capability for
BibleMemorizer to load verses from a different program.  In addition, it
would add flexibility for binary distributions (obviously only when someone
who uses Sword distributes BibleMemorizer without the Sword plugin, otherwise
a binary-only distribution would violate the GPL).

If I did this would I still have to dual-license BibleMemorizer itself?
According to the GPL FAQ
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#NFUseGPLPlugins):

"If the program dynamically links plug-ins, and they make function calls to
each other and share data structures, we believe they form a single program,
which must be treated as an extension of both the main program and the
plug-ins. In order to use the GPL-covered plug-ins, the main program must be
released under the GPL or a GPL-compatible free software license, and that
the terms of the GPL must be followed when the main program is distributed
for use with these plug-ins."

Here the FSF allows for "a GPL-compatible free software license" for the main
app, not just the GPL.  Would Crosswire agree if I licensed the main app
under the 2-clause BSD license or the MIT/X11 license (which I might switch
to anyway since it's shorter and clearer for non-geeks), and the plugin under
the GPL?  Knowing how seriously licensing is taken here, I definitely will
not do so unless you're cool with it.

-Jeremy Erickson