[sword-devel] bug in the 'About' box of the SWORD program

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Fri Sep 17 23:31:59 MST 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, C. N. R. wrote:

> I would like to report a bug in the SWORD Project. Here is what I am talking about: I just finished making a module with the Romanian Orthodox Bible (I am an Orthodox priest and I live in Romania).
>
> After I finished this module and zipped the final Win and Raw files, I found the following problem: in the file .conf that I created, to the 'About' heading, I gave the readers the path to the prefaces of the 1936 and 1994 editions of this Bible. The path was this: ...\Program Files\CrossWire\The SWORD Project\modules\texts\ztext\rob\. After installation though, in the 'About' box that appears every time a new module is added (i.e. when a .conf file is found in the directory \The SWORD Project\newmods\ ), instead of the correct path, one can only see the words "...FilesSWORD Project". If you want to verify this, I attached the .conf file. In my opinion, this is a bug in the program (I have versions 1.5.4-1.5.6). But I think the problem is the backslash which in the .conf files is reserved for the expression " \par ", through which you can separate paragraphs. I found out about this just this morning when I looked in the file godsword.conf... I feel disappointed since I put!
  i!
>  n a lot
>  of work to create this module, and I think this bug could be corrected in the next version of the SWORD project.
>
> I have reported the bug to sword-bugs op crosswire.org too.

The reason the backslach '\' is handled this way is because it is THE
common escape character for unix for quite some time. Windows is a
relative new thing.

A module should not use any absolute paths in the ini file. Even windows
installations are not all alike and the path you showed will not make any
sense at all on a unix system.

Hugo.

    hvdkooij op vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.