[sword-devel] Localization

cbalean at porchlight.ca cbalean at porchlight.ca
Mon Sep 13 09:42:44 MST 2004

> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Linas Spraunius wrote:
>
>> I would like to ask you what I need to translate in order to see the
>> names of
>> the Bible books in my language in the program like BibleTime. I have
>> made the
>> sword module of Lithuanian Bible and I use it with BibleTime. However
>> names
>> of the Bible books I see in English. Do I need to translate something in
>> the
>> sword engine or BibleTime program?
>
> Could you enhance your question with relevant details?
>  - What language are you referring to?
>  - How have you set this language?
>
> Much of this information can be obtained from some variables you can see
> in your favorite shell. (First of which is the LANG variable.)
>
> Assuming bibletime does not use private lists it will use the ones from
> the sword libraries. These are commonly found in the directory
> /usr/share/swor/locales.d or your local equivalent.
>
> Hugo.
>
> --
>  All email sent to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
>     hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
> 	    Don't meddle in the affairs of sysadmins,
> 	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Hello,

I am not quite sure but I believe the names for the books of the Bible do
come from BibleTime. As such, you have to use KDE (assuming you are using
KDE) and BibleTime in your 'native' language (Lithuanian in this case?) in
order to see the Bible books in that language (I am not 100% sure since I
am not home right now and I cannot check). Maybe someone on the bt-devel
list can help a little more.

Here is a link for KDE translation effort in Lithuanian:

http://i18n.kde.org/teams/index.php?a=i&t=lt

and here is a link to the BibleTime translation pages:

http://www.bibletime.info/translation.shtml

It doesn't look like there is any effort in the Lithuanian direction with
the BibleTime program interface so this would be the first step for you
Linas. Hope this helps a little.

Calling on Him,
Cu drag in Christos,

Cristian