[sword-devel] french darby

Chris Umphress umphress at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 14:53:43 MST 2004

> > When I run osis2mod on the osis file I obtained from CCEL, I have the four
> > files that are produced. Problem: the nt file is rediculously large, the the
> > range of hundreds of megabytes, but doesn't contain any text. It simply
> > contains OSIS format, verse delimiters mostly. The ot file, on the other hand
> > is empty.
>
> I had the same result when I tried to convert of the French Darby
> translation using osis2mod. The "nt" file was over 700 megabytes in
> size (from a 5 MB source file). I'll take a look at the code for
> osis2mod tonight.

The file frdarb.osis does not appear to follow the OSIS standards. I
am still surprised that osis2mod creates a 700MB output file, but I
believe this may be caused by the formatting of frdarb.osis.
A couple example verses from frdarb.osis (supposed to be Genesis 1:9-10):

<verse osisID=""></verse>
9¶ Et Dieu dit: Que les eaux qui sont au-dessous des cieux se
rassemblent en un lieu, et que le sec paraisse. Et il fut ainsi.
<verse osisID=""></verse>
10Et Dieu appela le sec Terre, et le rassemblement des eaux, il l'appela Mers.

If it were written this way, the file would be parsed correctly using osis2mod:

<verse osisID="Gen.1.9">
9 ¶ Et Dieu dit: Que les eaux qui sont au-dessous des cieux se
rassemblent en un lieu, et que le sec paraisse. Et il fut ainsi.
</verse>
<verse osisID="Gen.1.10">
10 Et Dieu appela le sec Terre, et le rassemblement des eaux, il l'appela Mers.
</verse>

You probably don't want to use this .osis file to generate a module
for Sword. At least not without some modifications first. I'd be happy
to assist you as I get the time.

Chris / Daga

--
Chris Umphres <http://daga.dyndns.org/>