[sword-devel] Sword and gcc 3.3?

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sun May 16 14:21:11 MST 2004

Hi,

Is there an estimation of when sword will see v1.5.8? And are there
developers using gcc 3.3 to test it?

I just gave it a whirl on a test system with the latest test release of
fedora Core  (FC2-Test3) and it hit some bumps.

rm -f .libs/installmgr.lo
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../include -DUSE_AUTOTOOLS -DUNIX -g
-O2 -ftemplate-depth-25 -pg -DCURLAVAILABLE -c ../src/mgr/installmgr.cpp
-fPIC -DPIC
../src/mgr/installmgr.cpp: In member function `char
   sword::InstallMgr::FTPURLGetFile(void*, const char*, const char*)':
../src/mgr/installmgr.cpp:153: error: `TRUE' undeclared (first use this
   function)
../src/mgr/installmgr.cpp:153: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
reported
   only once for each function it appears in.)
make[2]: *** [installmgr.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hvdkooij/redhat/BUILD/sword-1.5.7/lib'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hvdkooij/redhat/BUILD/sword-1.5.7'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I noticed a list on the GCC website:

    * The standard library is much more conformant, and uses the std::
namespace (which is now a real namespace, not an alias for ::).
    * The standard header files for the c library don't end with .h, but
begin with c (i.e. <cstdlib> rather than <stdlib.h>). The .h names are
still available, but are deprecated.
    * <strstream> is deprecated, use <sstream> instead.
    * streambuf::seekoff & streambuf::seekpos are private, instead use
streambuf::pubseekoff & streambuf::pubseekpos respectively.
    * If std::operator << (std::ostream &, long long) doesn't exist, you
need to recompile libstdc++ with --enable-long-long.

I was under the impression that deprecated entries were removed from gcc
3.3 which might explain the errors.

As non-programmer I have to do some guesses here. But I did get some hits
on <stdlib.h> in the source files.

Hugo.

    hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.