[sword-devel] Quotes

William Thimbleby wjt100 at york.ac.uk
Mon May 10 09:28:33 MST 2004

Hi, Both the bibletime filters and sword filters render the KJV with
quotes like this:

KJV from Matthew 5:
3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
" 4 "Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. " 5
"Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. "

and sometimes with even more quotes — ending each quote with two " ".
The majority of speakers do not have quotes and it should use proper
quotes  “ ”. Also for modules like ESV (although a beta) that include
their own quotes it can get ridiculous:

3 Jesus answered him, "“Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born
again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”""

This looks really bad, and I've decided to remove the addition of
quotes from MacSword. I'm interested in knowing what the 'correct'
thing to do is. Is this a problem common to BibleTime and others?

Thanks —Will