[sword-devel] suggestion for locales /abbrevs

Daniel Glassey danglassey at ntlworld.com
Fri May 7 11:17:05 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 19:33, Chris Little wrote:
> Daniel Glassey wrote:

> > The locales current map abbreviations to book numbers but this is
> > potentially buggy as it is an effort to check if the number is the book
> > that you think it is. What I'm suggesting is to use upper case OSIS id
> > book names instead of book numbers. VerseKey2 will have a static
> > function getOSISBookNum so that SWLocale can map these to book numbers
> > (this will need to be implemented for VerseKey as well).
>
> Why upper case OSIS book abbreviations rather than mixed?  XML is case
> sensitive, so the book abbreviations are case sensitive, so it's
> POSSIBLE that a "GEN" book could be allocated in addition to "Gen".
> Yes, I know we would almost certainly never ever ever do this, but...
> what if.  It's mostly academic, but is there really any need to case
> fold here?
>
> > Does this make sense? I know it will be work to change all the locales,
> > but imho it will be easier than trying to get the number changes right.
>
> It's entirely sensible to me, will decrease the potential for human
> error in creating new localizations, and it should be really trivial to
> update old locales to the new format.

Right, I've committed this - if you define NONNUMERICLOCALETHING then
SWLocale will use the new function VerseKey::getOSISBookNum to get the
book number from the book abbreviation in the locale file rather than
reading the number from the locale file.

It would be great if someone could write a script to do the changes for
existing locales.

Regards,
Daniel