[sword-devel] RE: OSIS 2.0.1 modules updated

Todd Tillinghast sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:38:34 -0700

Michael,

<snip>

> I disagree. The rendering process should never add any punctuation due
> to the q element when the n="" parameter is specified. The rendering
> process should be free to decide how to render Jesus words , i. e. the
> same as normal text, red letters, bold, dark purple, or anything
> reasonable. It would not bother me in the slightest to have people
> ignore the q elements as given above entirely upon rendition, but if
> they do use them, it would be incorrect to generate any punctuation
> from those markers when n="" is specified.

<snip>

I think we largely agree and where we don't agree the standard provides
the freedom for you do things they way you need to.

I agree that if a translator purposely omits (does not put quote marks
where you might expect them to occur) quote marks for some quotes but
puts/includes them in other places that information/those decisions MUST
be retained in the OSIS encoding.

Where I think we disagree is that I don't believe that the translator
(in almost every case) is the one who determines on a quote mark by
quote mark basis to not render (not add/omit) quote marks around red
letter text in a red letter edition and to render (add/not omit) quote
marks in an all black letter edition.  The only red letter edition that
I can find that omits quote marks is a King James Edition (my copy of
the RSV and NIV render red quote marks).  I strongly suspect that the
translators of the KJV did not participate in the decision making
process.

I personally would NOT omit quote marks when rendering a red letter
edition, but would render red quote marks.  I hope I never see an OSIS
Bible that omits all of the quote marks (by using n="") on every
occurrence of a quote of Jesus and I am only able to render with only
black letters.  I believe I would be forced to request at least a
clarification from the encoder/translator and if the response is that
the Bible should ONLY be rendered with Jesus' words in red, I would be
forced to request a second encoding for black only rendering.

Todd