[Fwd: Re: [sword-devel] Re: [osis-editors] OSIS 2.0.1 modules updated]

Todd Tillinghast sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:49:58 -0700

Michael,

<snip>
> In my experience, the types of quotations that are rendered
> differently in print (depending on stylistic preferences) are:
>
> * Direct quotations of Jesus.

These would be quotes using the <q> element.

> * Old Testament quotes in the New Testament.

I believe as of OSIS 2.1 there is a special treatment for OT quotes in
the NT.

> * Inscriptions.

There is an <inscription> element.

> If someone (besides me) wanted to take the time to mark the "who"
> parameters of every quote in the Bible, it might be useful for audio
> script generation and advanced Bible study software search features,
> as you pointed out. It would be unreasonable to make such markup
> mandatory, however.

The "who" attribute is not mandatory.  But having a <q> element and NOT
simply quote marks in the text IS required for the highest level of
conformance, but is not required to be a valid OSIS document.  So <q> is
not mandatory but strongly encouraged.

<snip>

The result is that stylistically you can easily differentiate between
these three cases.

Todd