[sword-devel] Re: [osis-editors] OSIS 2.0.1 modules updated

Patrick Durusau sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:46:49 -0500

Michael,

Appreciate all the work you have done with OSIS and even more with the
Bible but there is a remark below that puzzles me:

Michael Paul Johnson wrote:

> We have no plans to support the use of <q> replacing typographic quote
> characters for any of our uses of OSIS, because the current standard
> provides no way to ensure that the generated punctuation would be
> correct for each translation and language. The OSIS standard should
> represent the Bible text, not change it.

Curious how you see the current standard as providing "no way to ensure
that the generated punctuation would be correct for each translation and
language."?

Generation of punctuation, as opposed to encoding quotations, is really
a matter of the rendering software and not the OSIS encoding. I don't
think you could do it in XSLT (perhaps but I don't think so) but if you
want continuation quotes, for example, if a <q/> as a milestone has
opened, and has not yet closed, if you want continuation quotes at the
beginning of each <verse> before the closing <q/> milestone, you can
certainly do so.

Is there some case in particular that is a problem? Realizing that it is
going from one language to another where handling of quotations gets
real messy. Best we can do is mark the quotes accurately and without
ambiguity.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--