[sword-devel] virus

Hugo van der Kooij sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:49:03 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> OK guys,
> 	I trust we're all savvy enough here to know this, but I'd just like to
> confirm that the recent emails claiming to be from Crosswire.org about
> 'your mail account' ARE VIRUSES and obviously not from us.  Don't ever
> open attachments.  My guess is that the world is gonna have to start
> signing emails soon.  I guess I'll have to actually try to, once and for
> all, understand PGP.

Some hints to reduce spam and such by significant numbers:
 - Check domain validity (simple check will save about 20%)
 - Use call back (more complex check kills about 80 to 90% of all bogus
messages)
 - Add central virus and spam filtering.

To get a grasp of home usage figure see
http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/cgi-bin/mailgraph.cgi which I started to record
just after the first hype of the current saga of Mydoom variants and other
unfriendlies.

During breakouts I kill about 90 to 95% of all messages as they fail on
simple checks.

Hugo.

    hvdkooij@vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
	    for they are subtle and quick to anger.