[sword-devel] Re: [sword-support] Some personal observations about your site...

Barry Drake b.drake at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 8 10:48:47 MST 2004

Hi David ...........

On 8 Jun 2004 at 9:25, David Olsen wrote:
> wonderful. However, I was a little disappointed to see
> that your site has the JST translation listed under
> the category of Cult/Unorthodox/Questionable.

What you see here does not attempt to make judgements about the
LDS.Most of us are open minded about that.  We would, however want
to suggest that the JST is not an orthodox translation in the sense that
it has not been approved by respected linguists as being a true
representation of the extant Hebrew and Greek texts.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that the LDS claim that
all our extant Greek and Hebrew texts contain errors, and that Joseph
Smith was given a revelation from God which enabled him to correct out
these errors.

If I am right in saying that, then any Christian denomination that feels
uncertain in about the LDS claim that Joseph Smith was a prophet
would have to regard his revealed translation as 'unorthodox'.  Maybe
we ought to remove the word 'cult' from the designation, as this is
obviously an uncomfortable one to offer here.

God bless,
Barry

-- From Barry Drake (The Revd) minister of the Netherfield United
Reformed church, Nottingham see http://www.jesusinnetherfield.org.uk
for our church homepages).

Replies - b.drake at ntlworld.com