[sword-devel] Re: Re: Development Process

Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra leandro at dutra.fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 1 21:52:22 MST 2004

Em Tue, 01 Jun 2004 10:28:42 -0700, Chris Little escreveu:

> You're probably confusing Free Software with Open Source Software.

	I've been studying (so as to speak) this for quite a while,
I'm pretty well sure of my ground here.

	For reference, http://gnu.org./ and http://opensource.org./

> Free Software is definitely about licensing.  Open Source Software just
> indicates that the source code is available.

	No, that would be MS's and Sun's Shared Source.

	Open Source, while indicating deep philosophical differences,
was originally but a marketing term for free software for suits.

> Open Source doesn't indicate you have any rights regarding the
> software (i.e. some specified set of minimal license rights) other
> than, presumably, the right to read the source.

	No, the OSD is but DFSG repackaged.

> (That ignores the whole OSI Open Source definition, since OSI
> post-dates both the origination of Open Source Software as a concept
> and as a term in wide use.)

	Correct but irrelevant.  The term open source was coined by
the same people who founded OSI and then adopted DFSG as the OSD.

> I think, however, what Troy was probably alluding to metonymically,
> was the development model associated with Open Source Software,
> which I think everyone has a vague notion of.

	But what I am arguing is that this association isn't
necessarily true, and quite often wrong.  See GNU Emacs, XFree...

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71        leandro at dutra.fastmail.fm
04.674-000  São Paulo, SP                                    BRASIL
http://br.geocities.com./lgcdutra/