[sword-devel] Using SWORD from OpenOffice.org - just a thought

Andy Piper andy.piper at freeuk.com
Tue Jun 1 10:54:30 MST 2004

I have a cunning plan.
Well, I like to think it is rather neat, but unfortunately as
yet I can't implement it, and maybe it is a rather vague notion
which is actually not of any use to anyone.

Lots of churches use presentation software. I know that mine
does, PowerPoint in that case, but I'm hoping to convert them
to Linux + OOo at some point.

Wouldn't it be neat if, when the pastor mentioned a Bible
passage, the reference could be quickly typed in and e.g. OOo
Impress formatted the passage and displayed it?

It is equally useful if we can just type in the Bible reference
in Writer and get the verse on the page.

I've been trying to get an OOo macro to call the lookup program
or diatheke to get references, but this isn't working at
present since there doesn't seem to be any way to get data back
from the shell command. I guess I can understand why, from a
security perspective. I also can't seem to get the data put
into a temp file on disk and read in that way.

I've seen reference on these lists to VBA macros for SWORD but
I don't know where to find them or whether they are relevant.

One for the ideas collection, maybe...

--
Andy Piper - Farnborough, Hampshire (UK)
http://jumpgate.homelinux.net/