[sword-devel] New Modules (front-end developers: please read)

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Jul 21 18:12:43 MST 2004

Joachim Ansorg wrote:

> I was working on a new module anf run into trouble with your new module.
> The module has titles so I think osis2mod put the title tag into each verse
> followed by the verse tag.

Correct.  We've always put titles into the verse that immediately
follows them.

> My problem: That is nowhere supported atm.
> If I want to implement this in BibleTime I need to know if the module includes
> the <verse> tags in the text itself or if it's a module prepared in the old
> way.

Just check the OSISVersion entry in the .conf.  The new modules are
tagged with OSISVersion=2.0.1.  Other OSIS modules won't have this tag
at all and most of them would be tagged as OSISVersion=1.1.1, if we went
back and added the metadata to them.  So you can assume that if
OSISVersion >= 2 then ALL tags from the OSIS document are supposed to be
in the Sword module, including <verse> tags.

> Basically I think we shouldn't add a new way to store/render verses because
> the new modules prepared this way do not work properly in all existing
> frontends. There's even no windows version supporting this atm.

It's not a revolutionary change.  Nothing breaks.  Everything works
exactly the same as it always has in every existing frontend.  All you
need to do in order to support verse tag rendering almost completely is
to render a little number for every <verse> tag following the first one
within a verse.  You can do this trivially with one conditional in your
OSIS filter.

When Daniel's new versification work is completed, we will STILL store
<verse> tags and hopefully frontends will use those to render the verse
numbers.

> Don't get me wrong, I think the new way is better than the old one but we
> shouldn't have one more way to have markup in the modules.

Changes may be unpleasant, but they are necessary if we want to make any
progress.  We can't simply drop the old way of rendering verse numbers
because it is used in a couple of hundred modules that would have to be
updated.

--Chris