[sword-devel] NASB Lexicons

Daniel Glassey danglassey at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 21 09:30:22 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 16:25, David wrote:
> Anthony,
>
> Your image shows the character that I can't find in the unicode standard.
> The dots that looks like Sheva within the Final Kaf on the image, if we could
> find the unicode value of that character the problem could be fixed, assuming
> that it is in the unicode standard. I went to the SIL site, and could not find
> the character in the SIL Ezra documentation.
> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/render_download.php?site_id=nrsi&format=file&media_id=HebUniKeyboard.pdf

Er, if it looks like "Sheva within the Final Kaf" then maybe that's what
it is? (IANAHE[1]) As Anthony says, it is probably the OpenType features
that position the Sheva correctly within the final kaf. Or does sheva
appear below the final kaf in other circumstances?

Aha, found something
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/biblical-languages/2002-March/000408.html

"and b) we now can use OpenType features to get things like sheva
rising up into final kaf automatically."

I'd say the best thing is to put them back and leave it to the programs
to decide how to render them.

It will need to go in documentation to say that Ezra SIL or another
OpenType Hebrew font is recommended for the Hebrew lexicon.

> If you could extract the unicode value from the text that your snapshot shows, I
> could look in the unicode pdf's to see if it does exist in the standard.
>
> This link mentions a character not specified in the unicode standard in SIL
> Ezra.
>
> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=ReversedNun_intheBHS
>
> This maybe the case with the character I can not find in the unicode standard,
> but appears to exist in SIL Ezra. I can understand this being done in order to
> create what is needed, but I am not sure that it would be acceptable to encode
> text with anything that is non-standard unicode in this situation. That kind of
> negates the idea of unicode.

No, afaiu if a character isn't in Unicode™ and you need to use it the
thing to do is to put it in the Unicode PUA (Private Use Area) in a
specified way and use it from there until it gets accepted into Unicode
(which is a very long process). That is what they have done (as well as
a hack in the font to make nun+ CGJ (0x034F) + dot (0x0307) also be
reversed nun).
What's your alternative to doing that?

Regards,
Daniel

[1] I am not a Hebrew expert.

P.S. Congratulations on the baby Anthony :)