[sword-devel] [off topic] Are sword-develop'ers getting blizzard of virus laden eMails?

Christian Renz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 31 Jan 2004 13:54:10 +0100

Lynn,

it's the same procedure to not get infected as usual: Don't open the
attachments. Apart from that, the biggest nuisance is the sheer volume
of mails containing the virus. I used to get several hundreds of these
per day, but now am rejecting mails that contain Zip archives (on top
of rejecting Windows executables). I plan to take out the filter after
a few days, since there are times when I receive Zip archives, but for
now, this was a five-minute hack that really saves me some time. If
you need some inspiration and have a Unix-based mail server, take a
look at

http://www.web42.com/stuff/deny_zip.txt

(I was too lazy to actually look into the archive and see whether
there's executables inside, so I am just rejecting all Zip archives.)

>I've got an older NetGear router that I think has a hardware firewall

Will help against direct attacks, but not against viri/worms
distributed via e-mail.

>Please join me in prayer to defeat the people (and/or demons) responsible,
>bring salvation and peace to their icy hearts, and 'break their teeth' as
>appropriate.

There's a saying something like "Don't blame it on the devil if sheer
ignorance and laziness could be the cause"... :). Whose ignorance and
laziness I won't go into, as I don't want to stir up a debate for
controversy's sake. I do hope the whole thing will be over soon.

Greetings and blessings,
   Christian

--
crenz@web42.com - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"The computer should be doing the hard work. That's what it's paid to
do, after all."  -- Larry Wall