[sword-devel] Maps revisited

Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:26:18 -0500

Ok, I've thought some more about maps and this is what I've come up with.
Three basic types,

1)Static- These would just be images support for this is already basically
done.

2)Interactive- These would be the hallmark. It would possibly be derived from
SVG or some other similar standard. Basically the user is presented with a
map that contains "hotspots."

Left clicking on Jerusalem, for example, might take you to a more detailed map
of the city, or to a encyclopedia entry, or something like that. Or if you
click on, Herod's temple and get a 3d walk through, etc. And you could
possibly even have an interactive timeline that overlaid different map
features such as land forms, or borders, or locations of cities, etc.

Right clicking on a hotspot would present a menu with other options than the
default left click action, like being taken to an encyclopedia entry or a
culture and customs work, or whatever. And the user could possibly even
supply their own comments to the hotspot.

3)Satellite- This type would have limited use, since the way I currently
picture it is that the display of these modules is upto the front end. The
library would present the front end with processed DEM data and the front end
would deal with it how it saw fit; creating a 3d model, or perhaps a relief
map, or a contour map, or whatever the front end creators feel is most
beneficial to the user. It could possibly even be multiple things (relief and
contour map, for example).