[sword-devel] MacSword 0.4 beta

Will Thimbleby sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:20:27 +0000

Thanks for your good work, Christian  :) Your feedback was very
helpful, and several good points that have gone on my to-do list.

> - I'm having trouble opening the "Find" window. It won't show
>   up. Would be nice to have a "Find" field for the toolbar also.

The find menu got disconnected, it works now. Cheers.

> - The module information is great; I find "=About=" a bit obtrusive,
>   though. Maybe "(About)" as entry for the book list would look
>   better. Also, maybe instead of displaying the language code, you can
>   display the full language name ("Chinese" instead of "zh", for
> example).

I agree, I've altered it to "(About)", the language code I'll sort out
later. I've made lots of trouble for myself in the past adding small
features in at the last minute but it's a good idea.

> - The service (sword://KJV/matt3.16) works perfectly now from Camino
>   and Safari. How about making it sword:KJV/matt3.16 and
>   introduce sword:/matt3.16 to open the verse in a "default" bible
>   translation? When Timothy Berners-Lee was asked recently whether he
>   regrets something about inventing the web, he said "double
>   slash". ;)

I'm not certain NSURL works without double slash, but I'll look into
it. The url syntax probably needs to be fixed sooner rather than later.

> - MacSword sometimes crashes on me. I wouldn't take that too
>   seriously, though -- Safari crashes on me all the time on this
>   machine ever since the hard disk was full once. I'll try again on my
>   PowerBook.

It's crashed for other people I'm looking into it.

> - The book titles are not displayed correctly in titles when containing
>   non-ASCII characters. E.g. Matthew should be "Matthäus" in
>   German. It is correctly displayed in the book popup list as well as
>   in the text itself, but the title (book name) on top says "Matth%us"
>   (actually, it is the per mil sign, rather than the percent sign).

Fixed - thanks I wouldn't have noticed.

> - I'm having trouble with typing in advanced references. I think the
>   problem is that the values of the book popup and the chapter popup
>   are combined. E.g. if the chapter popup is set to "2", and I type in
>   "Gen 3", the window title will say "Gen 3 2" and the window will
>   display "Genesis 32". If you now type "Gen 3" into the book popup
>   again, the window title is set to "gen 3 32", and the content
>   displayed will be 2 Kings 19. (Probably the 332nd chapter in the
>   bible? ;-))

Working on it right now.

> One thing I'd like to see in MacSword is transliteration (maybe
> similar to the way Strong's numbers are displayed) and dictionary
> pop-ups. Can the bibletime filters be used to display transliteration?
> I'd love to help with coding for these, but I don't quite know where
> to start.

I don't know anything about transliteration, I stuck in the menu item
as a place holder a long time ago. If you figure anything out let me
know - that'd be really useful.