[sword-devel] Copyright and locked modules

Barry Drake sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 08 Jan 2004 16:35:37 -0000

Hi there ........

Several people have asked recently about making specific locked
modules generally available.  One person was considering the NET
bible and another was interested in French versions.  I though it worth
repeating something that has been said before:

Please don't badger copyright holders for free licencing.  This practice
alienates copyright holders who need to make a living.  The Bible may
be free - translation costs dearly and people have to be paid a wage!

Don't come back on this issue, even if you disagree strongly.  It has
been discussed ad nauseam, is off-topic and the project leaders are
well aware of all the arguments.

Our greatest need is for an agent who will handle licence and copyright
fees.  The Sword Project cannot and will not offer this service.

If someone has a not-for-profit firm or is willing to start one to handle
transactions by Pay-Pal etc, then the Sword Project would be willing to
support that person by supplying locked modules together with an
unlock key if the copyright holder were willing for that to be done.  The
Sword Project would make no charge, and would take no part in
financial transactions either with the purchasor or the copyright holder.
If someone is willing to undertake this task, we would be in the same
position as are other Bible software suppliers: we would be able to offer
licenced copyrighted versions and handle payments.  This would,
without any doubt bring The Sword Project to the top of all, and I mean
all, Bible software!

God bless,
Barry

-- From Barry Drake (The Revd) minister of the Netherfield United
Reformed church, Nottingham see http://www.jesusinnetherfield.org.uk
for our church homepages).

Replies - b.drake@ntlworld.com