[sword-devel] LcdBible 0.92c beta available

Adrian Frost sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 10:07:16 +0100

Hello All,

First off would like to say hello as I've just joined the list having
downloaded The SWORD Project for Windows after struggling with other bible
software for a while.

I'm an English missionary working in Belgium who so far has been using the
SWORD Project software every day since finding it - very useful.

This reply is in response to Lynn Allan's posting about LcdBible 0.92c beta.

I'm running the software on a Pentium 266 laptop at 800x600 with a 3GB drive
and 160Mb of RAM, Win 98 (First Edition with Service Pack to get it up to SE
standard). Connection to net is via ADSL so not everything is totally
obselete

Comments on:
Download - no problems there.
Installation - no problems only comment would be that it would be nice to
have an "I've finished" notice when the app is installed. I wondered if
something had failed as it installed so quick and then... nothing.
First impressions -
Start up was practically instant.
Clean and simple which I'm guessing is what you're hoping for. The tree view
down the left hand side is really nice. Makes everything nice and
accessible. After first start up, clicking the collapse '-' by Matthew
caused the screen to refresh but no collapse occured. Clicking again
collapsed the tree - only happens once per session.
I tried searches too and was pleased with the speed of the searches. Tried
the obvious - "Jesus" which returned 934 results in about 5 seconds. Only
thing I couldn't find was how to get to all the results. I was presented
with results only from the Gospels - nothing beyond that and no obvious way
to page through the results.
When searching it is nice having the count and search terms used at the top
but couldn't quite see the point of 'From:'
It's nice that search is automatically by phrase without having to mess with
AND even though the app does seem to support that kind of querying too (if
I'm right...)

Some general thoughts: would be nice to be able to maximise the window. If
you're targetting those of us with 800x600 screens it seems a shame not to
make use of all that (limited) space.

Hope these comments are of some use and also that this posts correctly since
I've never used a mailing list before.

Adrian Frost