[sword-devel] OSIS 2.0.1 modules available

Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 05 Feb 2004 10:11:55 -0700

At 12:02 AM 2/5/2004, Michael Paul Johnson wrote:
>I still deny that it is better. I remain unconvinced that use of <q>
>to generate punctuation should be mandatory. Maybe I just don't like
>computer geeks telling linguists & Bible translators what to do. Maybe
>I have some valid reasons that you should consider.

What if the rendering of quote markings was a user option. One option would
be to render the markings just as they were in the source/printed document.
Or, the user could select a quoting style. This way the linguists &
translators would have their say, and the user could either accept them or
ignore them if the user so desires. Put another way, the user could be
inspired to go with what the linguists & translators provided or the user
could be inspired to use one of the options the computer geeks were
inspired to provide. On the other hand, we could have some guy be a world
wide overseer who would have ultimate authority to determine what quoting
method would be correct for each document and we could all submit to him.

Jerry