[sword-devel] RE: SWORD WITH APOCRYPHA or Deuto Canon

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed Dec 22 17:06:20 MST 2004

Khoi Pham,
	We really appreciate your work.  There are a number of things to
consider, which we have been planning for when we support alternate
versifications in 1.5.50 of our roadmap at:

http://crosswire.org/bugs/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10005&report=roadmap

	1) we already have an apocrypha.h that has been generated
	2) there needs to be a mechanism to turn apocrypha support on/off
	3) 1 and 2 will be obsolete if we 'do this right' and provide dynamic
versification systems, instead of static tables.
	4) Conversion between keys of different versification systems

	I think #3 is the largest part of making this happen and accepted into
the engine.  Though your work technically makes your custom modules
work, it, in effect, makes all the current modules stop working--
probably at all without a reindex, and also by always showing apocryphal
books in the versekey, when these are not desired by 98% of our users
and not present in 98% of our current modules.  This does not fix the
real probably of allowing a module to have its own versification system
and provide translation between others.  That is the real work and time
involved in this task, and why it is taking us so long to do it correct.

	Please don't think we are unappreciative of your efforts.  We'd love
for you to consider helping on the dynamic versification system proposed
above.  If you join #sword on irc.freenode.net, we can discuss it
further in technical detail.

	Merry Christmas!!!

		-Troy.