[sword-devel] New Module Submission Facility Plans

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat Dec 18 21:53:29 MST 2004

My apologies to all who have submitted modules recently.  We have been
negligent getting around to adding modules.

After some discussion and planning I'd like to let you know about a new
feature that we're hoping to implement very shortly after the 1.5.8
release of our engine (which will hopefully happen during the holiday
season).

We're planning a User Module Submission Facility.

2 types of users would have to register in order to contribute to the
facility:

1) module submitter
2) beta testers

A module submitter would be able to login and maintain their modules,
and information about such, including copyright/publisher information
and progress made for distribution rights of copyrighted material.

A module submission would be by uploading the raw import file, and
choosing which tool will import the file into a sword module.  You'll be
able to submit any scripts you used to create the import file from
original source.  We'll also have an automated .conf create facility to
help you generate an appropriate .conf file.

Beta testers may login and rate module submissions for quality.

All unregistered users would have access to the freely distributable
module submissions and associated ratings and information, under an
"as-is" clause.

Our hope is that this facility will help CrossWire more easily select
highly rated module for quality and promote them to official status, and
will enable quicker access of other modules to people willing to use
them in their unfinished/tested state.

Any feedback now would be greatly appreciated, as we have about 2-3
weeks before we'd start the implementation of the facility.

Again, thank you for your support and grace you've shown me and others
here regarding this matter.

	-Troy.