[sword-devel] Converting files

Lynn Allan l_d_allan at adelphia.net
Wed Dec 1 13:07:23 MST 2004

This OSIS forum webhost seems to be offline quite a bit, so perhaps
someone can provide guidance about using osis for preparation of
"tracts". OSIS seems suitable when the material is straight Bible
verse, but I'm unclear whether it is at a state of development to be
appropriate for preparing material whose pages have significant
extra-biblical material. Like a commentary, a tract has the Bible
verses and non-verses interspersed.

Below is part of a simplified webpage from a "Sharing Bible Tract".
Each page of tract has the following "template" with associated
formatting:
0 or 1 Intro Question
0 or more prelogue comment(s)
0 or more opening context verse(s)
1 or more Sharing Verse(s)
0 or more closing verse(s)
0 or more epilogue(s)

<link rel="stylesheet" href="../common/Sb2.css" type="text/css" />
Not?</div>

<sup class="VerseNumber">11</sup> And this is what God has testified:
He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.<br />
<sup class="VerseNumber">12</sup> So whoever has God's Son has life;
whoever does not have his Son does not have life. </p>

<sup class="VerseNumber">13</sup> I write this to you who believe in
the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life.</p>

<sup class="VerseNumber">14</sup> And we can be confident that he will
listen to us whenever we ask him for anything in line with his
will.<br />
<sup class="VerseNumber">15</sup> And if we know he is listening when
we make our requests, we can be sure that he will give us what we ask
for. (NLT)</p>

<ul><li>Do you know whether you will be going to heaven or not when
you die? </li>
    <li>Is this something you hope happens, but aren't sure?</li>
    <li>What do you think of people who claim they know they are going
to heaven?</li>
</ul></div>

The css2 "class" provides the structure information. My impression is
that XSLT can "make decisions" based on class information to determine
what to generate.

The intent is to have a single source that can be used to generate
webpages and printable pdf pages. I'm not clear if OSIS is far enough
along to be appropriate for preparation of "tracts". I see osis
examples and osis tags for straight Bible text, but not tags to
indicate extra-biblical material. (e.g. the intro question, prelogue,
and epilogue above).