[sword-devel] [osis-editors] Re: The death of OSIS?

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 13:33:27 MST 2004

Patrick Durusau wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Preserving every "jot and tittle" (syn. shred, scintilla, whit, iota,
> smidgen, smidgeon, smidgin, smidge) is certainly the goal of manuscript
> markup (one of my areas of interest), which OSIS has not yet reached.
>
> On the issue of quotations, however, I think we already have a solution
> in place for the problem as I understand it.
>
> I have not checked the website version but at Troy's request we added a
> "cQuote" type to milestone to deal with issues of continued quotations.
>
> I have attached a sample XML file with an XSLT style sheet that transforms:
>
> <text>
> that has a continuation<q/> milestone.</p>
> </text>
>
> Into:
>
> This is some text that has "a quotation by Patrick
>
> 'that continues to another paragraph, that has a continuation" milestone.
>
> (I did not key off of the type attribute since it was not necessary for
> the sample text but that is easy enough.)
>
> My thinking is that this allows the translator in the field to see a
> display of their text without a lot of complicated processing.
>
> Note that one issue that has not been considered is that if you simply
> put punctuation directly in the text, how do you deal with Patrick's
> stylesheet, where the apostrophe is clearly not a single quote but the
> possessive case?
>
> There is a subtype attribute on milestone that can be used to further
> specify any keys for display that you prefer.
>
> It would be helpful in the future (I will write something up this
> weekend as a guide) if problems or requests were accompanied by actual
> examples of what result is desired and what encoding you have tried to use.
>
> Personally I would find that a lot easier to try to solve and discuss
> than, shall we simply say, less specific statements.
>
> Does that move us forward?

Yes.

It helps for a quote when that quote is continued.

But the XSL becomes complicated for quotes continued within quotes. The
complication comes that it will be necessary to determine whether the
inner quote is being continued or the outer quote.

Example,
"This is a quote, 'of a very
'long quote'
"to show what the problem may be"

or

   	<q sID="a">
	This is a quote,
      	<q sID="b">
	of a very
<milestone type="cquote"/>
	long quote
	<q eID="b"/>
<milestone type="cquote"/>
	to show what the problem may be
	<q eID="a"/>

The problem is more difficult if the quote is of a quote of a quote, ....

It would be helpful to know what quote it is a continuation of.

 From a selfish point of view, I agree w/ Troy, I don't want to have to
know the language of the document and the kinds of quotes that are used
for that language.

Can you suggest a way to determine the proper quoting if the text were
Hindi? Hebrew? Greek? Spanish? French?