[sword-devel] The death of OSIS?

Patrick Durusau pdurusau at emory.edu
Wed Aug 11 02:37:06 MST 2004

Greetings,

As one of the principals in the OSIS project I must confess I an not
encouraged by statements announcing the illness or death of OSIS.

I realize that I have not always been as prompt as I would like in
answering suggestions/complaints but that is a reflection on my time
management and not the viability of the OSIS standard.

Rather than simply taking shots from the cheap seats, perhaps you would
like to suggest markup based solutions to any problems you encounter
with OSIS?

Note that I said markup solutions, realizing that most of the problems
that have been brought to my attention involve presentation, which is
NOT something markup is intended to cover. Seems unfair to blame OSIS
for something markup was never intended to do.

If you want absolute control over appearance you need to use Postscript,
PDF, Word or TeX as your Bible format. See how portable that will be
across platforms or into other formats. (Well, with the exception of TeX
but it is not widely supported.)

Actually markup can handle presentation as well, but only as part of the
transformation process, such as XSL-FO, but that is not covered by OSIS.

So, rather than posturing with negative statements about OSIS, how about
making constructive suggestions? I am in the last stages of a new
version of the users manual and could use constructive suggestions.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick