[sword-devel] Other religions?

Mete Kural sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:24:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your response. Please find my comments
and questions below.

> The Qur'an, however, is not a book of the Bible, so
> it will not be added
> as a book of the Bible.  I think that would be a
> wonderful way of really
> ticking Jews, Christians, and Muslims off.  It
> really wouldn't make any
> sense from a hierarchal viewpoint to group together
> works that have no
> books in common (Bibles and Qur'ans), as if they
> were varieties of the
> same work.

I did not mean to say that we should add the Quran to
the list of the books of the Bible. Sorry for the
confusion. What I meant to ask is whether it is
possible in Sword for Windows to add the Quran as a
book that could be browsed and displayed just like the
books of the Bible. Meaning, using the exact same user
interface. Perhaps another way to ask this is whether
it is possible in Sword for Windows to add books to
the list of books that are displayed using the Bible
display user interface - not to the list of the books
of the Bible. For example, could the Quran be added to
the dropdown of books in SWORD for Windows as a book
that will be displayed using the Bible display user
interface instead of the general book user interface,
not as a book of the Bible but simply as a book that
is other than the books of the Bible but will be
displayed using the same exact user interface that the
books of the Bible are viewed? I think I used too many
words above and made it confusing :) Basically can the
Quran be displayed using the Bible display user
interface in SWORD for Windows?

> Besides that, it is extremely non-trivial to just
> add another book.
> Daniel is making it much more trivial, I believe,
> but even were his work
> already complete, we still wouldn't add books TO the
> Bible that are not
> books OF the Bible.

That is great! So will the support that David is
adding to SWORD enable one to add books and display
them using the same user interface that is used to
display the books of the Bible?

Thanks and God bless,
Mete