[sword-devel] question about WAP online Bibles...

Nic Carter sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:51:05 +0800

Hi there team.  :)

With the recent postings about another online Bible server (swordd) and
The Bible Tool also being written, I got to thinking about accessing
the Bible online with my mobile phone (WAP, I guess).  does anyone know
of any existing services for this?  If not, the current development
with swordd might be very interesting for me...  :)

If you wanna know why I'm interested, read the bottom of this email...
:)

Thanks, ybic
	nic...  :)

ps: just before doing this, I had a bit more of a look, and it seems
that there are a couple of WAP versions of the bible out there, but
they don't seem all that great, with the best I can find being
wap.mobible.org (check out www.mobible.org), and they're open source
(yay for OS!), available via Sourceforge
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/mobible/).  I'm interested in looking
into this more, but I've really gotta dash right now, but I'm
interested in what others think here...  :)  perhaps mobible frontend
(modified, with their permission), with the power of something like
swordd as the backend...  :)  tell me if I'm dreaming...  :)

So, WHY?
Well, was on a short hike 3 weeks ago when I got to the top of a hill
(well, I think it's called a mountain here in Hong Kong, but it's not
really!) and really wanted to grab out my Bible and read a few passages
from Genesis and also a few from Revelation, but I only had my phone
and camera and water in my bag (from previous experience of hiking in
HK, I try not to take anything make of paper or similar things, which
can be easily destroyed in the wet - my camera is fairly fine, along
with my phone.  So, then I thought how cool it would be to be able to
access the Bible via my phone (Sony Ericsson T630, which can browse the
web with GPRS, with it's WAP browser).  Ok, so I know almost nothing
about using phones to access the web, having only owned this phone for
about 2 months, and been too busy to even figure out how to use it
properly (friends normally play with it, figure out a new feature, and
then teach me!), but this is something I'd be interested in trying to
figure out, if someone else hasn't already done it!

"I can't believe that!" said Alice.
"Can't you?" the Queen said in pitying tone.  "Try again: draw a long
breath, and shut your eyes."
Alice laughed.  "There's no use trying," she said.  "One can't believe
impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen.
-----"Through the Looking-Glass" by Lewis Carroll------------->>