[sword-devel] Re: Accented Greek NT (Westcott-Hort)

Costas Stergiou sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 22:02:57 +0300

Hi Chris,

> I suspect that the problem is either that the text is encoded using the
> Extended Greek codepoints or the RTF control is transcoding them to use
> these points.  I'm pretty sure the whole Extended Greek section violates
> the recommendation that data be normalized as NFC.  It also makes
> searching more problematic if we don't use NFC internally.  So, that said,
> when we transcode the text to use Greek + combining marks instead of
> precomposed characters, it might work fine with even Times New Roman.

Can you explain which one is the best way to encode greek accented texts in
order to be 'compatible' with what is most commonly accepted?
I gather from the above that the greek+combining is the preferred way
(instead of using precomposed chars), but i think precomposed chars tend to
show up better (since the correct drawing of diacriticals is a bit

In Christ,