[sword-devel] Re: OSIS Web tool - Tabbed Navigation

Chad Uretsky sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:57:57 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Troy A. Griffitts" <scribe@crosswire.org>
To: <sword-devel@crosswire.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: [sword-devel] Re: OSIS Web tool - Tabbed Navigation

> Don,
> Like the tab impl.  It looks nice and does improve the usability very
much.

I agree, the tabs look great, though I was not able to access pages other
than the tab page.  Was that intended?

> What Joachim said is correct:
>
> Use putty.exe (or whatever your SSH client is) to ssh into crosswire.
>
> Then cd to your sandbox and update it with everyone else's commited
changes:
> cd ~sword/html/biblenew/delbourne
> cvs update
>
> Then do you work.  You can either edit the files right on the box or by
> uploading files to this directory]
>
> Test them with your sandbox URL:
>
> http://www.crosswire.org/sword/biblenew/delbourne
>
> When you have something you would like to commit, then:
>
> cvs commit
>
> (it's gonna take you to VI to edit your comments on the commit, if
> you're not sure about VI, just:
> a<TYPE YOUR COMMENT><ESC>ZZ

You can also use cvs ci (instead of commit) to checkin a file.  And if you
wish to avoid having to use VI for comments (especially if the comments are
only one or two lines, or you don't care about line breaks), you can use
the -m option to include your comments on the command line.  For instance:

cvs ci -m "These are the comments for the file I'm checking in."
filename.ext

> If it's been a long time since you last did a: cvs update, then you
> should probably type that before the cvs commit.  The update will try to
> merge other peoples changes in with your current code before you commit
> so you can resolve any conflicts.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> -Troy.
>

> Don A. Elbourne Jr. wrote:
> > I concur with Andrew on all his observations and with those who
commented on
> > the color scheme. The colors were never intended to be permanent. My
main
> > concern was to create semantically marked up HTML so that we could do
all
> > the style through the external CSS.
> >
> > I took a few minutes this morning to create new CSS for the header and
> > navigation. I removed the table from within the <h1> tag. Tables should
be
> > used to display tabular data, not for presentational positioning.
Instead, I
> > positioned the OSIS logo as a background image in the header.
> >
> > Since the navigation is marked up as a list of links, its relatively
simple
> > to change the look of them. the only change I made was to add a
id="current"
> > to the current location. this way we can style the link differently
> > depending on the users location. this will help the usability issue
Andrew