[sword-devel] Microsoft SDK provides free non-gui C++ compiler and nmake: has anyone tried to build BibleCS (Win32) with it?

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:57:04 -0600

You need BCB in order to build BibleCS.  We use VCL, which is not
included with Borland C++ Complier 5.5 and definitely not with any MS
products.

I don't think building with free tools has ever been a stated goal.
Sure, it would be nice, but it's not practical for Win32 development,
and it's really not that important, considering that most Win32 users
would rather just have a binary and don't care at all what kind of
source licensing is involved.

Lynn Allan wrote:

> Inquiring (newbie) minds want to know:
> * Has anyone tried to build BibleCS (Win32) with the free command-line
> Microsoft compiler that comes with their SDK?
>
> This may have been discussed ad-nauseum in the past, so, por favor, have
> grace on this newbie. In the list archive, I did track down an extended
> thread about the Borland compiler earlier this year, but didn't see the
> Microsoft SDK compiler mentioned.
>
> My impression is that the Sword project has an objective that the sources
> should be rebuildable with free tools. There are .bpr files for the Borland
> C++Builder x.x. My understanding is that there is a magical procedure to
> generate C++Builder 5.5 makefiles for command line compilation, but I've
> never figured that out, or come across documentation how to do that.
>
> There are also .dsw and .dsp files for Microsoft VisualStudio-98 to rebuild
> diatheke (seems to work!) and ActiveDiatheke.ocx (which seems broken ...
> I've submitted fixes).

Fixes to ActiveDiatheke were committed about a week ago.  Let me know if
you're still having problems.