[sword-devel] Is kjv "plain-filtered" text supposed to have extra spaces and newlines?

Lynn Allan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:22:35 -0700

Inquiring (newbie) minds want to know:
* Is there a filter or setting so that kjv text doesn't have any redundant
spaces or carriage returns?

I'm using the diatheke program to try to gain some understanding of the
sword-api. Eventually, I'm interested in "porting" a simplistic freeware
program to use sword as a source of Bible verses.

With diatheke, I've provided command line arguments to use the "plain"
filtering, without strong numbers, footnotes, etc. I would expect the text
to be returned "unadorned", but many verses from the kjv come back with
multiple spaces, and what appear to be extraneous newlines. This also shows
up in the gui sword.exe.

This seems mostly to be the case for KJV. Other Bible translations such as
BBE and WEB are ok.

For example, KJV Eph 2:13-15:
13: But
now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood
of Christ.
14: For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the
middle wall of partition between us;
15: Having abolished
in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in
ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

I could understand if poetry had line splits, but I would expect non-poetic
text like Ephesians to be "unadorned."

Am I doing something wrong, or leaving out a step, or something I'm supposed
to specify?

TIA,
Lynn Allan