[sword-devel] Successful windows CE sword.dll

Johan Gorter sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 00:21:09 +0200

Troy,

I am not sure if 4.0 will compile it, but I recon it probably will. I
looked into it why I did download 3.0 in the first place. The only thing
that I can come up with now is that maybe 4.0 only works with windows CE
2003. (I have 2002). Version 3.0 is still available if you use the
following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downloads/developer/def
ault.mspx

I found the following on the microsoft website:

Q: Can I use eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 to develop applications for Pocket
PC or Smartphone?
A: eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 with Service Pack 2 can be used to develop
applications for the Pocket PC 2003 and Smartphone 2003. It can not be
used to develop applications for Pocket PC 2002 or Smartphone 2002.

So, since most devices still use windows CE 2002 (including the one I
just bought new) and because windows CE 2003 is backwards compatible
with 2002, I think we should keep developping in 3.0.

There are some disadvantages though:
- 3.0 does not support try...catch statements
- 3.0 does not come with the STL

Luckily, try...catch statements do not perform vital functions in sword.
I also found a (free) STL that compiles with eVC 3.0 (it is included in
the files).

Go with Him,

Johan