[sword-devel] Catholic module?

Tom Pollard sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:57:09 -0500

Geoffrey,

You wrote:
> Couldn't it be added as a general book. IMHO that's where it probably
> belongs.

Except that that's not where they belong.  They were part of the KJV
Bible, the Vulgate, the Douay-Rheims, the Septuagint, etc., and (IMHO)
you can't really say you're providing those texts unless you include
all the the books they originally contained.  For Catholics, 2
Maccabees, Wisdom and Sirach are all regularly proclaimed in the
liturgy.  To really be useful to Catholics studying the Bible (which we
hopefully all encourage) the deuterocanonical books ought to be
included in the Bible translations that have them.

Please don't take from this any implied criticism of the Sword team for
not including those books up to this point.  As far as I'm concerned,
if there isn't anyone with the interest, time and skills to support
this, then neither I nor anyone else has a right to complain about it.
I'm deeply appreciative of the substantial and impressive work the
Sword team /has/ done.  Between work, my family, preparing for the
Bible study I lead and advancing my other extracurricular projects, I'm
not sure I have the time to help work on this, but I'd very much like
to.

Yours in Christ,

Tom