[sword-devel] Perseus Project

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:54:56 -0600

Sword actually has a HREFCom driver that uses a similar concept.  The
idea is that the Sword module entry contains an URL that points to a
page with real the real information.  The old version of JFB used this
mechanism, pointing to the CCEL version of JFB.  At one point, this
caused some problems because the URL for the pages at CCEL changed,
however it was reasonably easy to fix with just a new .conf file,
because the .conf contained a string to be prefixed to the URL in the
entry.  For example, CCEL went from http://ccel.wheaton.edu/ to
http://www.ccel.org/ while the page locations within those domains
remained the same, so only the domain name part of the address needed to
be changed.  The other problem was that users inevitably and incessantly
whined because they wanted to have everything local and (in the case of
BibleCS) the interface really sucked, since the implementation launched
a separate window.

That said, there's no reason why we couldn't add HREF varieties of the
LD and GenBook drivers also to handle linking content on e.g. Perseus.
The only real difficulty is in enumerating all of the possible entry
values, since every entry on the server needs an entry in the module.

A further extraction that we could attempt would be a way sending blind
queries to the web server, without knowing the actual enumeration of
entries on the server.  This would be pretty trivial, since it only
requires knowing a base URL on the server and a pattern for performing
lookups.

I don't know much about the particulars of the syntax and format used at
Perseus, but if you think entries could be enumerated, we should have
little difficulty creating modules for Persues.  Now... creating
sensible UIs for these will be another matter.

--Chris