[sword-devel] OSIS Web Tool- ABS online

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 01 Nov 2003 15:51:47 -0600

I would suggest firing the graphics firm, and maybe suggest they find a
new line of work for themselves that doesn't involve visual arts at
all.  The design is one of the most horrible & illconceived webpages
I've seen since people quit using <blink> (or at least since browsers
quit supporting it).

Some points (and I realize that to some extent, these issues relate to
the adaptation of their image to an actual webpage):
o   NEVER put a texture behind text that is meant to be read (because
they can't be).  If you want to ensure that people never use the OSIS
Web Tool to actually read the Bible, please, continue using this design.
o   NEVER put text that is meant to be read against a dark texture.  I
have perfect vision, and I can barely read any of the tabs or other menu
items, even those against the lighter variety of browns.  It's no
coincidence that so many webpages use black text on white background.
This provides the highest level of contrast between text & background,
making the text more readable.
o   Dark colors depress people.  Do you want people to get depressed
when reading the Bible?
o   The "THE BIBLE TOOL" graphic is just out of place & ugly.
o   I have a headache due to eye strain from looking at that page.

I found this cool site that some other guys did and that is kind of
similar to your idea.  You might try copying their design.  Their page
is at http://www.crosswire.org/sword/biblenew/index.jsp .  The only
thing I would change about their page is that graphic in the upper right
corner: it's got too much white space, it should be a GIF or a PNG, and
it's placement is odd (its top and the top of "OSIS BIBLE TOOL" should
be aligned--unless it is moved elsewhere).  Other than that, I say we
just rip these guys off (maybe slap the ABS, SBL, and that big fat
CrossWire logo in at the bottom instead of the validator links).

But seriously, the current page needs to go.

Side note: I think a better name than either of "OSIS BIBLE TOOL" or
"THE BIBLE TOOL" needs to be dreamt up.

--Chris