[sword-devel] Print Bible Features

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 20 May 2003 12:34:42 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> >>Subject Headers
> > Got that.
>
> Where?  Besides the ISV?

I don't recall, so I couldn't tell you.  However, we have included them
with every Bible that we have made since the ISV that included section
headings in its data files.

These are most definitely not universal.  They are language-specific,
versification-specific, and translation-specific.  OLB took paragraph
information from a commentary and applies it universally to all of its
Bibles with the effect that they are virtually all wrong.  If we applied
section headings universally, there is a 100% chance that they would be
incorrect for all modules except that from which they were culled.

> >>(cross-references)
> Yes, presentation is a frontend issue. But is a distilled set of
> cross-references available in Sword or elsewhere?

These are included in Bibles that include them.  Again, thes are NOT
universal.

Would it make sense for a Protestant Bible to include references to the
Apocrypha?  Would it make sense for a Catholic Bible not to?  This is just
the broadest different, but every Bible will have a different set unless
two copy from the same source (which is uncommon).

> >>Harmonies of the Gospels
> >
> > In what way?  You can print parallel passage information in a note
> > embedded within the section heading, as with the ISV.  Other than that,
> > gospel harmonies are not part of Bibles, they're exterior works (e.g the
> > Fourfold Gospel, which we do have albeit in a different order from its
> > most natural.
>
> Yes they are exterior as is much of what is in Sword.

As I said, they can be included, if the Bible includes them.  Most do not,
by their translators' choice.

> >>Book information (at begin of each book)
>
> > aka book introductions: Got that.  (not included in all texts because the
> > data was either unavailable or the module was produced before import of
> > introductions was possible.
>
> Where?
>
> To me this should be general and not specific to a version of text.
> The intro, history, etc of a book doesn't change due to Bible version.

Absolutely this is version-specific.  First, of course, there's the
language issue.  When Bible translators include an introduction, we
include them.  There are introductions to two books (Hebrews & Revelation
I believe) in the EMTV we posted recently.

> >>Messianic Prophecies, ... fulfilled
> >
> > As a form of markup, sure, you could mark this.  When it actually becomes
> > and issue and someone marks a text with this data, we can add support to
> > the engine very quickly & easily, since it's just presentation markup
> > issue.
>
> Do you know of available lists of such references.

I don't.

> Good information. Thanks. I am looking for an older ASV. A clean history
> would be best. How old does any book we harvest have to be?

The best source is an edition printed before the earliest date when
copyright would still be valid.  You can consult this page:
http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm .

--Chris