[sword-devel] Print Bible Features

Jimmie Houchin sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 19 May 2003 15:42:31 -0500

Hello,

What features which are available in Print Bibles does Sword lack?

If someone were wanting to take of the Bible texts in Sword and publish
(print) a Bible what does Sword not have. (Copyright permitting.)

Subject Headers
Read-along References
Center Column References
Concordance
Harmonies of the Gospels
Maps (being discussed)
Dictionary (of some Bible terms)
Book information (at begin of each book)
Messianic Prophecies, ... fulfilled
Many of the names in the text have pronunciation helps.
    (I'm phrasing that poorly.) ie: Is'ra-el
     (where do they get those anyway?)
anything else I'm missing... :)

I know Sword has many modules and texts but not necessarily what people
are used to from their print versions.

 From my research the ASV has a preface which is not in the Sword module.
It is available on the web.
It, the ASV, also by default from the authoring committee contained much
of the above items. Its copyright has passed.

Are those items available electronically?
Am I missing them in the Sword project? ie: I don't know where they are?

If not available.

Does anybody else in the community see value in these items?

I know with software version of the Bible we can do much more than what
is in the print version. But some of those items we lack completely, yes?

I would like us to be able to reverse the process we have advantaged.
ie: Instead of going from print to electronic, going electronic to
print. Am I alone?

If I were willing/able to scan an ASV, etc. in order to harvest some of
the above items, a few questions.

Would it have to come from an out of print, out of copyright (ie: older)
print copy in order to be legal? Or would I be able to harvest the
identical (if it truly is) material from a more recent printing of the
public domain material?

My list above is not comprehensive. These items and discussion are
flowing of the top of my head. :)

Insight, wisdom, discussion, greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jimmie Houchin