[sword-devel] Wanted: Font developers

Patrick Durusau sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 15 May 2003 06:33:52 -0400

Chris,

I will have to check with the SBL office but I suspect we would be
willing to allow the Sword project to use the SBL fonts (currently under
development). The Hebrew module is almost finished, with Greek to follow
this summer and the Western and diacritical sets before the Annual
Meeting in November. Unicode and OpenType compliant font by John Hudson
of Tiro.com, who develops fonts for Microsoft and others. We have been
very pleased with his work.

One special feature of the font is that it is being designed so that the
Hebrew, Greek and Western characters work well together in terms of
appearance. There is a name for that but at 6:30 AM, it escapes me. ;-)

The font is going to be free to individual users but publishers who use
it in published works need to join the SBL Font Foundation, which has
been setup to add more scripts to the font set, such as Syriac, and to
provide for long term maintenance of the font as technology changes.

I will put in a query today and should have an answer before we meet in
Dallas next week.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick