[sword-devel] An apology ......

Simon sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 6 May 2003 21:10:48 +0200

> Lengthy answer given off-list.  I consider this to be
> off-topic.  I believe
> I have expressed very well what has become official Sword
> policy: we do not
> condemn publishers and copyright holders for what they do.

Not only that, even IF all people on the Sword mailinglist did not agree
with the fact that publishers ask money for something they *only*
translated, it would not be very wise to express those ideas if we ever
want to get permission to use those texts. One mail with such
'offensive' text can destroy weeks or even months of begging for
permission.

And, by the way, I don't know if you guys knows how much money it takes
to make a bibletranslation (I mean: a translation like the NIV, the
NASB, NKJV, etc), but that's really expensive. It takes YEARS to get the
money that is invested back. So they're perfectly right if they do ask
money (see Mark 12:14-17)

And, if you don't like that publishers ask money for their translations,
just use a free translation, like the King James or something like that,
or make your own translation...

God bless,

Simon