[sword-devel] SWORD Project with WBS

Christian Renz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 1 May 2003 02:02:21 +0200

>I don't remember where we ended up trying to make a Chinese locale,
>but perhaps someone else on the list could comment if they remember.
>I think a non-unicode locale file might work depending on the OS. Did
>we try a GBK encoding?

A Chinese locale (in GB) is going to work on Chinese versions of
Win95-Win98. I thought I remembered that we got a Chinese locale to
work on Win2K and WinXP, but couldn't get it to work on Win2K
today. It's probably my setup, though, since the ZhHanzi dictionary
indices didn't display correctly as well -- and I had _that_ working
on WinXP. I'll try to look into it soon. Let me summarize:

                                Non-Chinese             Chinese
                              Win95/98/ME  Win2k/XP   Win95/98/ME  Win2k/XP

Display modules in Chinese      works       works       works       works
Display Chinese locale        impossible*  possible*   possible    possible
  (menus, dialogs, copying
   Chinese text to clipboard
   etc.)

"impossible" meaning possible only if you install e.g. NJStar. This is
due to a lack of full-blown Unicode support in Win95/98/ME.
"possible" meaning I'm confident we can do it, we just need to figure out
the details.

Once we get it to work, we will need some help with the locale
translation. There has been some critique that some of the
translations are not appropriate.

If you do want to run the software on Chinese versions of Windows, we
will probably need your help to make sure the Chinese locale displays
nicely. I'm not sure whether any of the Sword developers has access to
a Chinese version of Windows.

Can anybody comment on the situation under Linux?

>Could you give me an example of what you mean by 'a smaller font'.  Did
>you change the font size to smaller and then right-click on the same
>text?

I think what is meant is the headings in the text. I could reproduce
the same problem using the pop-up dictionary lookups (switch on using
Ctrl+W, then move the mouse pointer over a word) -- they don't work at
all in the headings. Sorry, I forgot to mention that in the bug report
I sent earlier.

>>>(6) When we did a right-click and selected "Copy" on the selected
>>>characters with smaller font, the software was terminated.

It would be good to know which version of windows you are working on
for this one.

Lastly, let me also say that I am quite excited myself to have the NCV
available in Sword. I'm a learner of Chinese and appreciate having a
more modern translation (although my Chinese is not that good yet that
it makes much of a difference :)). Thank-you for the cooperation!

Greetings,
   Christian

--
crenz@web42.com - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite
importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."
    -- C.S. Lewis