[sword-devel] keyboard navigation in Windows Sword

Larry&Dana Stucky sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:55:37 +0100

Thanks to Joaquim for sending the Dec 2002 version of the CD. I haven't yet played with the various Linux interfaces, but the windows interface could use some additional work.

1) Personally I dislike using the mouse any more than necessary. Consequently I'd appreciate being able to have keyboard shortcuts for the Back icon (how about Alt-Left, like a standard web browser?), Book name (Alt-B?), chapter# (Alt-C?), verse# (Alt-V?) & overall reference boxes (Alt-R?). Additionally it would be nice to have a keyboard shortcut to move backwards/forwards by one verse (Left/Right or Up/Down?), so that the commentaries will automatically display the next verse's info, etc. Being able to move automatically to the next chapter would also be a nice touch. Actually I'm of the opinion that the changing of versions, ref books, etc., ought to be achievable without using the mouse at all. Then the mouse is mainly used for hovering to get in-context info. Having previously suffered from wrist problems due to mouse use, I try to minimize the mouse. Windows Sword is more mouse intensive than most programs I've seen.

2) I'm not sure what you call the lower right box in the interface, but it is lacking a scroll bar. Since strongs often has words with the same root in sequential order, it would be helpful to facilitate the scrolling of that list.

3) The layout of the icons under the menu could be better. If you don't have any more icons planned, you could reduce the vertical height to half, thus preserving the more important area for the Bible text itself.

Leo