[sword-devel] I would like to write a PHP interface + copy-right of ZIP question

Simon sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 23:53:39 +0100

>1)
>I would like to write a PHP interface to read the bible modules (at
first). Can one of you provide the structure and encoding/decoding
algorithms for the modules?

Well, if you don't want to use SWIG (and there are enough reasons why
you don't want to), you better can focus on ONE format, and convert all
Sword modules to that specific format (lesser code, easier to debug,
easier to maintain). Pesonally I prefer the OSIS format (I think/hope
that is going to be the new standard for bible-related texts). For an
example of my PHP script, based on OSIS, see
http://test.scripture.nl/script/bible.php?version=tr&verse=Joh.1.1-5&mor
phs=1&strongs=1. Another PHP-script I've written is based on ThML (which
is also a nice standard, but it isn't as 'clean' as OSIS), see
http://www.scripture.nl. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

2)
>As far as I have seen the config files talk about ZIP encoding. If I'm
correct that's based of the same algoritm als GIF files. PHP GD did stop
the support for GIF files because of copyright problems. Is this
copyright thing not a problem for this project (e.g. did you get a free
green light)? Just a notice, I'm not up-to-date with this copyright
thing.

ZIP isn't patented (as far as I know), there are even free modules
providing ZIP support to PHP (I even think it is shipped with PHP, but
I'm not sure).