[sword-devel] Bible web site show up in w3c.org site as example of techno...

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 06:56:24 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 YTang0648@aol.com wrote:

> If you look at how the bible.fhl.net web site use ruby, you will find
> out the ruby effect in Gecko could be similate by using some css display
> property.

Yes, I had already seen how you did it for bible.fhl.net.  I'm not really
interesting in workarounds for browsers that don't meet standards
specifications--that kind of nullifies the point of standards.

The workaround you suggest looks fine in Mozilla and MSIE, but not Opera.

And supporting workarounds is significantly different from actually
supporting a standard.  Maybe the browser makers don't think Ruby is very
important since the standard is almost 2 years old, yet neither Mozilla
nor Opera show any plans of supporting it.

> CSS3-Ruby is currently only a "working draft" (under last call)
> And I wonder does the web really need that kind of detail of display tuning.

Without CSS3-Ruby, you can't control the location of the ruby text at all.
In IE6, that means multiple rubies are all shown above the base text.
With CSS3-Ruby, you could display some above and some below to reduce
clutter. (That's just one example that is useful for an interlinear
Bible--as can be seen in my screenshot.)

--Chris