[sword-devel] release schedule

Martin Gruner sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 23:07:18 +0100

Hm, Troy, what have I done wrong that you only have such sharp words for me?

> You mean "stuff that needs to be packaged up for release" for Bibletime :)

Well, not quite. make dist is supposed to make a clean and standard
distribution of the sword library. All the major projects nowadays use this
autotools based mechanism.
Daniel can give more details, but the distribution basically includes
everything that is needed install sword, and to build that which is supposed
to be installed.

> Everything that was in the 1.5.5. package is part of the sword release.
> Having said that, we still would like to split out BibleCS into it's own
> package.  Doc's (which take up 5 megs in 1.5.5) should also be split out
> into their own package.

They are already taken out. The new module is called sword-apidoc.

> We never "tarr[ed] up the whole cvs tree."  A release process involved
> tagging the cvs branch and exporting the project, then running a script
> (under scripts/) that did a few preliminary things then tarred the
> tagged export up.  I appreciate the work on make dist, but I'm not
> really sure WHAT would ever be excluded from a distro but that was in
> CVS.  Again, just to reiterate, I'm not looking for a list of what needs
> to be cleaned up in CVS.

Neither did I give you such a list, nor did I try to make you change
something.
Sorry about my mistake, I did not know exactly how the release process goes,
and I got wrong information about that.
Just for testing, I tarred up cvs, and it is about 4 Megs, just like 1.5.5.,
though cvs does no longer have the docs in. After deleting the docs from the
1.5.5 distibution and tarring it up again, it was about 3.3 Megs. After
taking the windows stuff out it was about 1.5 Megs. Make dist produces a 500K
file which contains everything that is needed to configure, build and install
the lib.

And, er, just noticed a bad formulation in my email: it should not read
"releases are now made by make dist" but rather "you now have the opportunity
to use make dist", I'm sorry for this too-quick typed sentence, that was not
my intention.

Make dist is there for you to use, and it works. Do with it whatever you feel
like, but don't blame us for working on it. If you feel that our
contributions are not welcome, then I shall retract from sword development
and concentrate on BibleTime stuff. There is enough that needs to be done
there.

Martin