[sword-devel] Announcement: Sword will be used within Postnuke!!

Curtis Farnham sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:39:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I'm the "other guy" who's helping Eduard out with the
PostNuke/Sword/Bible module.  We're calling it
"pnBible".  I wrote the part that imports the raw
Sword modules into the database.

Thanks for all your comments!  I was asking about the
formats of the vss, chs, and bks files back around the
1st of the year.  At that time, I was trying to
develop PHP code that would interpret these files in
preparation for writing my version of the pnBible
PostNuke module.  One or more of you commented that
the majority of Sword texts follow the King James
versification, and I could probably get away with
writing code that already "knows" that versification
and just reads in the text lines.  I decided to go
ahead with that idea, since it was better than nothing
at all.

I just began investigating OSIS recently, and I am
anxious to finish writing a script that will handle
Sword modules in this format.  (In fact, I began the
script several days ago.  Currently, it just reads a
block of text and organizes it into arrays and
sub-arrays for content, tags, and tag attributes.)

I've gone to the OSIS site listed on the Sword
homepage and looked at the sample OSIS markup.  But I
haven't seen any Sword modules that use OSIS yet.  Am
I looking in the wrong place?  Where can I find them?

Many of you have suggested using SWIG bindings, but as
far as I can tell, it won't do what Eduard and I want:
to make something *completely* in PHP.  We can't
depend upon server admins to have the Sword libraries
installed.  Nor will it be well liked if our pnBible
depends upon a CGI script being installed.  The idea
is a PostNuke module written *entirely* in PHP that
can read Sword modules and convert them into database
tables in order to perform fast searching and lookup.

Am I missing something?  Will SWIG actually translate
the Sword library into PHP, or will it simply create
the "bridge" so PHP scripts can use the Sword library?

God bless,
Curtis (a.k.a. "curtisdf")