[sword-devel] Webster's 1828 Dictionary

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:09:14 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, David's Mailing-list and Spam Receiver wrote:

> A lot of people have been asking about the 1828. What's different/better
> about it than the 1913 which seems to be a standard among dictionaries?

The 1828 edition was "written" by Webster himself.  I put written in
quotes because dictionary writers tend to borrow a lot of their
definitions from others, but he did at least write down everything
himself.

The 1913 edition is more of a corporate production.

The reason people seem to think the 1828 is better is because they believe
it is more Christian, despite exhibiting in its definitions many of
Webster's unchristian religious and racial prejudices.  (Which is not to
say that we wouldn't publish it nonetheless if we had a copy.)

--Chris