[sword-devel] Chinese "words"

Christian Renz sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:15:49 +0200

>I think the right thing to do is to change your layout engine to support
>correct Chinese line wrapping, instead of adding space (which should not be
>there) to work around the limitation in the layout engine.

I second that.

>Neither have space after puncation. No space, period.

Whoops... you're right. Thanks for the correction. I noticed people
don't seem to do it the "correct" way always, though, but I guess it
also depends on the font being used (ie. the glyphs being the correct
width for punctuation marks).

>Second, there are no easy way to parse a word.

That's why I think it would be too complicated to built Chinese word
splitting into Sword, unless e.g. ICU starts to come with a nice
built-in option we can just use. It's just not worth the effort. It's
easier to just let the user make the guess himself.

>google implement very good Chinese search. Maybe you should look at how they do
>the search job.

Again, I think it's overkill for Sword.

Greetings,
   Christian

--
crenz@web42.com - http://www.web42.com/crenz/ - http://www.web42.com/

"(Jesus Christ) produced mainly three effects -- Hatred -- Terror --
Adoration. There was no trace of people expressing mild approval."
    -- C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock