[sword-devel] Porting to MS .NET framework

Thu, 5 Jun 2003 13:38:48 -0400

On Thursday 05 June 2003 01:05 pm, John Baima wrote:
> Have you checked Mono (www.go-mono.com) ? The .NET platform, not just C#,
> solves a lot of problems and while there are some real issues with it today
> (e.g., no Palm OS), I think that it will prove to be a very popular
> environment in the years to come and it is not something that should be
> dismissed lightly.

In case you missed what I said earlier, windows is the only platform with a
mature .NET implementation. Furthermore, unless Microsoft itself ports .NET
to other platforms there will very nearly always exist the issues of what
happens when MS starts enforcing it's patents. Also to be portable you have
to run on more than just Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X (which is essentially
BSD Unix with it's own unique windowing system which makes it much like
linux). What about BeOS, or AROS (Amiga Research OS), V2 (though sword
probably wont' be ported there since V2 only runs on floppy), Mac OS 9 and
earlier, Palm OS, DOS for that matter, and other operating systems that don't
have large portions of market share? To exclude operating systems simply
because they're not very popular or your particular development framework
isn't and won't be supported on them should also not be dismissed lightly.

And yes I've looked at the Mono project and it's not finished yet. And while
.NET I'm sure has some sort of benefit I would make sure that it won't fall
by the wayside before jumping in with both feet. From what I've seen of the
Windows longhorn previews, there are new windows frameworks coming out that
aren't even compatible with win32 and I didn't even see any mention of .NET
in the preview article I read. And back to portability, the current sword
library compiles on at least both linux and windows *WITHOUT* changing any of
the code. Essentially on those two platforms you don't have to do any sort of
porting at all and changing things if you're in linux shouldn't break things
in windows.